Thursday, December 22, 2011

Oldie but Goodie

When I met Paul I was just a young 19 year old. I remember being flabbergasted when he told me he was 25! 25! That was ancient to me (was it even okay that I date someone that much older than me?) Gross. Nevertheless, his charming self won me over and now 6 years later I find myself that ancient old age of 25! Which means, yes, my husband is 31! This past week Paul celebrated his birthday. I'm not sure if celebrate is quite the word for what Paul did on his birthday this year. I've gotten boring. We managed a few enjoyable activities though:

One of the traditions we had for birthdays in my house growing up was my mom and dad always made signs for the birthday kid and hung them up around the house. I loved waking up on my birthday and searching the house for the clever sayings and poems that my parents had come up with. This was a tradition I was definitely going to carry on. I have indeed decorated the halls, doors, and cabinets of our home for Paul's birthday each year (and yeah, he does it for me too...what a keeper).

We also go to temple square as a family every December. This year we decided to go on Paul's birthday. We weren't a very jovial crew. It was COLD! And we weren't fans of the massive crowds we had to battle. We walked around enough for Eloise to enjoy the lights and snap a few photos but we were probably in the car looking for a parking spot longer than actually walking around. Scrooges...I know!

In honor of my oldie, but goodie birthday boy I have listed a few oldies, but goodies to best help you get to know Paul a little more:
*Birthday boy in his new Bronco Tee


1. The Entertainer by Billy Joel: Paul's mission in life is to make people laugh. He is very witty, sarcastic, and sharp on his feet. He can certainly liven up a dull or awkward situation.
2. He Works Hard For The Money by Donna Summer: Okay, I know this song is 'She works hard for the money' but it was fitting for Paul. Paul is a very hard worker. He is a very talented Real Estate Agent but also is an excellent cook, dishwasher, launderer, etc. He can fix about anything in the house or on a car and is always willing to lend a helping hand. When Paul does something, he always does a top notch job.
3. We Are The Champions by Queen: Although this definitely wasn't the year this song could be sung for Paul's sports teams, we've celebrated victories in the past. I think there are about 2 months out of the year when there isn't some sports team that Paul is cheering on. Be it the Utes, Angels, Broncos, or Jazz, we stay busy cheering some franchise on all year round. Paul was also a champion of his own feat this past November. We went down to St. George for our annual Mesquite Marathon with his family and Paul dominated the half marathon with having done, let's say, inadequate training. He also participated in the Las Vegas Ragnar a few weeks earlier. A champion indeed.
4. When Daddy Let Me Drive by Alan Jackson: Paul is an incredible dad. Ellie is ecstatic when Paul comes through the door each evening. She loves rough housing with him and getting tossed about all over the place. She loves following him around the house-inspecting every little thing he does. I can already see her in a few years with her tool belt on, 'helping daddy'.
5. The Best Of Times by Styx: I couldn't make a list of songs and not take my chance at getting sappy and sentimental so I'll try and be quick about it. Amidst the craziness and the trials and the pitfalls and speed bumps that we have encountered over the years, we have had many great moments. I believe the small, simple daily pleasures we enjoy as a family make these days the best of times.


3 comments:

  1. That's an awesome tradition! What a cute idea with the songs. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those songs fit perfectly. Happy happy Birthday Paul!! (ps .. we felt the same way with temple square this year too. )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are such a cute family. I adore you all!

    ReplyDelete