Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Utah men are we...

Anyone who knows Paul knows that he is an avid sports fan, especially when it comes to the Utes. We dated during the off season and were engaged by the time football season came around so little did I know what I was getting myself into:) I quickly learned that Saturdays no longer meant chores, errands, and dates but rather early mornings, tailgating, food, games, and LOTS of football talk. Over the years I have learned how to put honey-do's in during the week, how to make 100 twice baked potatoes, how to loathe twice baked potatoes, how to sit through a blizzard to the very end of a game being up 50, how to brace myself for a shoulder hoist after a touchdown, and how to survive as a single parent during away and bowl games.  Football season is definitely a learning experience that requires patience on behalf of every wife. Despite the chaos each fall brings I can't help but find myself giddy each time that autumn breeze starts to fill the air. I know with the cooler weather also comes plenty of time to catch up with friends that I rarely get to see in the off season, it means reuniting with my fellow ticket holders (I spend more time talking to the sweet couple I sit next to every year than Paul), it means delicious food, it means (most of the time) a break for Paul and I from our rambunctious daughter, it means celebrations and laughs, it means the Utah fight song being stuck in my head for weeks (not sure if that's a good thing), and it means some good ole college football.
We were very excited for our inaugural year of being a part of the PAC 12. I was curious to see how our Utes would perform amongst some of the elite teams of college football. It was certainly a roller coaster of a year with disappointment, a glimmer of hope, and then complete heartbreak. All in all though, we enjoyed this year and are looking forward to the future. 
 In Paul's effort to inculcate our daughter, we decided to take Ellie to a game this year. We decided the first game would probably be our best shot. With the good weather and Eloise's inability to walk, we braced ourselves for a long day at the stadium. We hit up the teepee (yes, that giant teepee is us...stop on by and say hi) for some grub and headed over to the game. 

Ellie spent the first quarter marveling at all of the noises, people, and action going on. First quarter: SUCCESS!

The second and third quarters were spent pulling out any object to keep Ellie in her seat (including lots of snacks). Things seemed a little touch-and-go for a minute but we survived. 

And cha-ching! She past out for the fourth quarter. 

For our own sanity as well as for those around us, we decided not to take Ellie along for any of the other games. However, we enjoyed giving her a glimpse of her future as one of the 'fairest co-eds'...

No comments:

Post a Comment